Longitud a la primera madurez, ciclo reproductivo y crecimiento del camarón blanco (Penaeus occidentalis, decapoda:penaeidae) en la parte interna del Golfo de Nicoya, Costa Rica (ING)
AbstractThe sex ratio, population growth parameters, length at first maturity, spawning cycle and recruitment to the fisheries were studied for Penaeus occidentalis of the inner part of the Gulf of Nicoya. The sex ratio was found to depart slightly from the expected 1 : 1 being the females more abundant, especially at larger length classes. Females reach the length of 50% maturity at 150 mm total length. This estimation was not possible for the males due to the small number of juvenile males collected. Sexual dimorphism is marked, being the females larger and heavier than the males. The spawning pattern shows a peak from June through August for females, while males seem to be active all year round, without periods of higher reproduction activity. This pattern can show variations possibly due to environmental changes. Recruitment of young individuals to the fishery seems to occur mainly during November through December as evidenced by a reduction in the average length of capture during those months. According to the estimated growth parameters, females have a higher growth rate than males during its all life cycle.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
1. Authors guarantee the journal the right to be the first publication of the work as licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
2. Authors can set separate additional agreements for non-exclusive distribution of the version of the work published in the journal (eg, place it in an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
3. The authors have declared to hold all permissions to use the resources they provided in the paper (images, tables, among others) and assume full responsibility for damages to third parties.
4. The opinions expressed in the paper are the exclusive responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the opinion of the editors or the Universidad Nacional.
Uniciencia Journal and all its productions are under Creative Commons Atribución-NoComercial-SinDerivadas 4.0 Unported.
There is neither fee for access nor Article Processing Charge (APC)
Comentarios (ver términos de uso)
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Mauricio Vargas Barquero, Estimación de parámetros biológico-pesqueros para el pargo mancha Lutjanus guttatus en el Golfo de Nicoya, Costa Rica. (ING) , Uniciencia: Vol 15 No 1 (1998)