Variaciones en la diversidad de la comunidad bentónica del sedimento. Un indicador biológico del estado de contaminación de los ríos de la subregión de Heredia, Costa Rica.
Between September 1985 and February 1987, 8 rivers located in the Central region of the Province of Heredia were sampled. A total of 26 stations were located for the study, with sampling intervals of 60 to 90 days. In each station there sediment samples were taken to determine the benthic community,
The data obtaines were analized using the Sequential Comparation Index (SCI) of Cairns and Dickson (1971), and the resulting data were further analized with a multivariable analysis to determinate changes in the community in time and space for all the rivers studied and for each one individually.The rivers Segundo, Tibás and Porrosatí showed high SCI values, and these result in combination with the microbiological and physico-chemical data, let us list them as short-term recuperation lotic systems. Rivers Bermudez and Quebrada Seca showed low SCI values, with very little recuperation signs during the rainy season, and therefore were classified as polluted and with a much slower recuperation capacity. Rivers Burío, Pirro and Porrosatí were catalogued as heavily polluted and the recuperation possibilities are in a very long term.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
1. Authors guarantee the journal the right to be the first publication of the work as licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
2. Authors can set separate additional agreements for non-exclusive distribution of the version of the work published in the journal (eg, place it in an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
3. The authors have declared to hold all permissions to use the resources they provided in the paper (images, tables, among others) and assume full responsibility for damages to third parties.
4. The opinions expressed in the paper are the exclusive responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the opinion of the editors or the Universidad Nacional.
Uniciencia Journal and all its productions are under Creative Commons Atribución-NoComercial-SinDerivadas 4.0 Unported.
There is neither fee for access nor Article Processing Charge (APC)
Comentarios (ver términos de uso)
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Claudia Charpentier, Farid Antonio Tabash, Isaías Armando Fallas, Juan Carlos Zumbado, Lilliana Camacho, Elizabeth Ramírez, Variación estacional en el lago de Río Cuarto, Provincia de Alajuela, Costa Rica. I. Limnología Físico-Química. , Uniciencia: Vol 5 No 1-2 (1988)
- Farid A. Tabash, Utilización de indicadores biológicos para el diagnóstico del estado de contaminación de las aguas loticas. , Uniciencia: Vol 5 No 1-2 (1988)