Liquid Wastes: the case of beauty parlors
AbstractThe main objective of this preliminary study was to identify strengths and weaknesses of wastewater management in five beauty parlors to sustain further studies. Additionally, in two of the beauty parlors, S1 and S2, a representative wastewater sample during one day of labor was collected. The average values of pH, ammonium, COD and fats and oils were respectively: 7,96 ± 0,01; 0,38 ± 0,01 mg N/L; 77 ± 13 mg O2/L and 1905,0 ± 0,1 mg/L, for S1 and 8,88 ± 0,01; 57,4 ±0.2 mg N/L, 240 ± 128 mg O2/L and 2775,0 ± 0,1 mg/L, for S2. The fulfillment of the water quality standards is dependent of the type of products (biodegradable or not, with or without ammonia). Even though the volumes of discharge are intermittent and small, they generate negative impacts to the environment.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
1. Authors guarantee the journal the right to be the first publication of the work as licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
2. Authors can set separate additional agreements for non-exclusive distribution of the version of the work published in the journal (eg, place it in an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
3. The authors have declared to hold all permissions to use the resources they provided in the paper (images, tables, among others) and assume full responsibility for damages to third parties.
4. The opinions expressed in the paper are the exclusive responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the opinion of the editors or the Universidad Nacional.
Uniciencia Journal and all its productions are under Creative Commons Atribución-NoComercial-SinDerivadas 4.0 Unported.
There is neither fee for access nor Article Processing Charge (APC)
Comentarios (ver términos de uso)
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Rafael Rojas Brenes, Henry Borbón Alpízar, Vanessa Bagnarello Madrigal, Rigoberto Víquez Portuguez, Roy Soto Fallas, Ilena Vega Guzmán, Jacqueline Herrera Núñez, Antibacterial activity of the marine sponge Ircinia Campana collected at Punta Uva Limón against Staphylococcus Aureus , Uniciencia: Vol 26 No 1-2 (2012)
- Cynthia Pérez Rodríguez, Juana María Coto Campos, Viviana Salgado Silva, Jacqueline Herrera Núñez, José Francisco Fernández Araya, Cristina Benavides Benavides, Wastewater treatment in a small domestic-productive unit, using alternative technologies , Uniciencia: Vol 27 No 1 (2013)