A Reality of secondary students with special needs in mathematics
AbstractThe purpose of this research was to gain knowledge about expectations, feelings, and perspectives of students with special needs in mathematics, in a high school context, to create a profile of these students. The focus of this research was placed on six students from eleventh grade that have this condition. The institution selected was a public academic high school, in the state of Heredia. The method used to collect and to analyze data was a case study. The main techniques included: class observation, a questionnaire, unstructured interviews to the teacher and to students, and clinical interviews for students with special needs. Among the relevant findings is it was evidenced an absence of modifications to the curriculum implemented by the teacher in mathematics classes, except for an extra lesson given to these students during written tests. Among the limitations of the focus students to learn mathematics, they used poor mathematics concepts and previous related knowledge. Another finding regards to the lack of communication among all the actors related to the process of implementing Curriculum modifications for students with special needs. Nevertheless, students with this condition help each other and in that way show their solidarity. Based on the findings, it is recommended that mathematics teachers must revisit concepts from previous contents studied, when participant students have concept knowledge limitations. Also, they ought to evaluate closely any advancement that students with special needs make.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
1. Authors retain copyright and guaranteeing the magazine the right to be the first publication of the work as licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this magazine.
2. Authors can set separate additional agreements for non-exclusive distribution of the version of the work published in the journal (eg, place it in an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
Uniciencia Journal and all its productions are under Creative Commons Atribución-NoComercial-SinDerivadas 4.0 Unported.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Evangelina Díaz Obando, Marta Eugenia Sánchez González, Desarrollo profesional en la Universidad Nacional: construcción de un modelo para los talleres pedagógicos , Revista Electrónica Educare: No 5 (2004): Revista Electrónica Educare
- Evangelina Díaz Obando, Alonso Arguedas B Alonso Arguedas B, Jorge Porras A, Sociocultural context as a facilitator of student learning of function concepts in mathematics , Uniciencia: Vol 26 No 1-2 (2012)
- Evangelina Díaz Obando, Hazel Alemán Castillo, Carmen Hernández Brenes, A pedagogical model to develop mathematical power on gifted students in Costa Rica , Uniciencia: Vol 27 No 2 (2013)
- Gilberto Chavarría Arroyo, Difficulties faced by eighth grade students in the learning of linear equation problems at a high school in Heredia , Uniciencia: Vol 28 No 2 (2014)