Preliminary evaluation of eyestalk ablation and thoracic gancglion implantation on spermatophore quality and molting of male Penaeus vannamei
Males of Penaeus vannamei (mean weight = 25,05 +/- 1,89 g), selected from a commercial semi-intensive pond, were used to study the effect of thoracic ganglion implantation on spermatophore quality, and the effect of eyestalk ablation on molt cycle duration.
Thoracic ganglion implantation did not benefit spermatophore sperm count and spermatophore weight, whereas eyestalk ablation significantly (P< 0,05) improved spermatophore quality. Eyestalk ablation did not shorten molt cycle duration. It is believed that eyestalk ablation has a different effect on molting depending on the natural environment of each species.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
1. Authors guarantee the journal the right to be the first publication of the work as licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
2. Authors can set separate additional agreements for non-exclusive distribution of the version of the work published in the journal (eg, place it in an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
3. The authors have declared to hold all permissions to use the resources they provided in the paper (images, tables, among others) and assume full responsibility for damages to third parties.
4. The opinions expressed in the paper are the exclusive responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the opinion of the editors or the Universidad Nacional.
Uniciencia Journal and all its productions are under Creative Commons Atribución-NoComercial-SinDerivadas 4.0 Unported.
There is neither fee for access nor Article Processing Charge (APC)
Comentarios (ver términos de uso)
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Jorge Alfaro Montoya, Una técnica desarrollada para inducir el desove del ostión de mangle, crassostrea rhizophorae, Guilding, 1828 , Uniciencia: Vol 2 No 1 (1985)
- Jorge Alfaro Montoya, Cultivo experimental del ostión de mangle crassostrea rhizophorae (Guilding 1828) en el estero Vizcaya, Limón, y Golfo de Nicoya, Costa Rica , Uniciencia: Vol 2 No 1 (1985)