Variación estacional en el lago de Río Cuarto, Provincia de Alajuela, Costa Rica. I. Limnología Físico-Química.
Five sampling stations were stablished in lake Rio Cuarto. Three of them were located in the littoral zone with maximum depths of 12, 3 and 0,5 meters; samples were taken every 3 meters, beginning at the surface. The other two stations were in the center of the lake, and the samples taken at 0, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 25, 35, 45 and 55 m. This study was done between February 1984 and March 1985, with monthly sampling.
Dissolved oxygen, pH, temperature, free CO2 were the parameters studied.
The determination of the morphometry, mixing patterns and stratiphication of this lentic water mass are of a lake, therefore are strongly recommended not to refer to is as a lagoon anymore. It was determined that lake Río Cuarto is meromictic, the vertical mixing occurred between January and February, the thermal stratification was found between 15 and 25 m deep and anoxic layer began at 15 m. In the mixolimnion the oxygen concentration ranged between 8 and 4 mg/l. Yhe average superficial temperature was 27,59 ± 1 °C and compared with the bottom o difference of 3,18 °C was found.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
1. Authors guarantee the journal the right to be the first publication of the work as licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
2. Authors can set separate additional agreements for non-exclusive distribution of the version of the work published in the journal (eg, place it in an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
3. The authors have declared to hold all permissions to use the resources they provided in the paper (images, tables, among others) and assume full responsibility for damages to third parties.
4. The opinions expressed in the paper are the exclusive responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the opinion of the editors or the Universidad Nacional.
Uniciencia Journal and all its productions are under Creative Commons Atribución-NoComercial-SinDerivadas 4.0 Unported.
There is neither fee for access nor Article Processing Charge (APC)
Comentarios (ver términos de uso)
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Claudia Charpentier, Farid A. Tabash, Variaciones en la diversidad de la comunidad bentónica del sedimento. Un indicador biológico del estado de contaminación de los ríos de la subregión de Heredia, Costa Rica. , Uniciencia: Vol 5 No 1-2 (1988)