Focus and Scope
Ciencias Veterinarias journal recieves for publication scientific articles, case reports, letters to the editor or literature reviews within the scope of Veterinary Medicine, Veterinary Public Health and related disciplines. Articles may be submitted in Spanish or English.
Publishing Entity of the Journal
National University, School of Veterinary Medicine
Peer Review Process
Ciencias Veterinarias journal reserves the right to reject articles that are not pertinent to the thematic profile of the journal or that do not conform to the present style guidelines.
Articles are received and reviewed by the National Editorial Committee. Subsequently, each article is sent to a minimum of two referees, external specialists, in double-blind mode, for evaluation using the Article Evaluation Instrument. The referees are selected by the National Editorial Committee and send their comments and observations to the Editor, who prepares an official letter notifying the authors of the acceptance, rejection or recommendations to incorporate improvements to the manuscript. The entire peer review process is done anonymously, both by the author of the article and the reviewers. Authors who need to correct and improve the manuscript have a period of three weeks, at the end of which, if no response has been received, the article will be discarded from the publication plans of the next issue. Corrected articles are received by the Editor and the final decision of acceptance or rejection of the article is made by the National Editorial Committee, considering the evaluations of the referees and the fulfillment of their recommendations. Accepted articles are submitted to philological review of the Spanish, English and Portuguese languages, and once this stage has been completed, the articles are then submitted for layout. When the above process is completed, the authors receive, via e-mail, the text in pdf format for review. Therefore, the authors are responsible for the final revision, making the minimum necessary changes to the document.
The journal reserves the right to make changes or introduce modifications in the article for a better understanding of it, without changing its content.
The Editorial Committee does not necessarily support the ideas published, names of commercial brands or products, in the articles; this information is the responsibility of the authors. Ciencias Veterinarias Journal disclaims any responsibility for possible conflicts arising from the authorship of the papers published in the journal.
Citation and Reference Format
ATTENTION: In-text citations and references are prepared according to APA 7th edition. Please consult by opening the following links:
It is mandatory to include the digital object identifier (doi) in those references that have it.
Frequency of Publication
Ciencias Veterinarias is published biannually (twice a year). The first issue corresponds to the months from January to June and the second issue to the months from July to December. Occasionally special issues are published in the format of a supplement.
Open Access Policy
This journal provides free and immediate access to its content on the principle that making research results freely available to the public contributes to a greater exchange of global knowledge.
As an open access journal, Ciencias Veterinarias makes all of its content freely available at no cost to individuals or institutions. Users may read, download, copy, distribute, print and search the articles for educational or research purposes and not for profit, without requesting prior permission from the editor or author as long as they properly reference the source of information, the name of the author(s) and no derivative works are created.
All articles published in Ciencias Veterinarias are protected by a Creative Commons Attribution - NonCommercial - NoDerivs license 3.0 (Creative Commons Attribution - NoDerivatives) of Costa Rica. See this license at: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/cr/
Cost-free Publication: Details
Article review and publication costs
The submission, review and publication processes are FREE for authors; in other words, authors do not assume any cost for the editorial process of their articles. The costs of revisions and publication are paid by the Universidad Nacional de Costa Rica, the Colegio de Médicos Veterinarios de Costa Rica and the Ministerio de Agricultura y Ganadería de Costa Rica (Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock of Costa Rica).
It is reiterated that the journal Ciencias Veterinarias does not charge for its publication, nor does it commit itself to reimburse the authors, since they cede the right to publish their articles.
It is clearly stated that this journal does not pursue profit for its activity and that its actions are aimed at the expansion of scientific and educational knowledge in the area of Veterinary Medicine and Veterinary Public Health. Any author(s) who submits an article for publication in this journal is assumed to accept this rule.
The journal also does not charge for subscriptions.
Plagiarism detection policy and ethical commitments
Ciencias Veterinarias rejects any form of plagiarism in the articles submitted for its consideration and the detection of plagiarism leads to the termination of the editorial process. As a support in the fight against plagiarism, the journal uses the services of Google and Turnitin software to detect analogies of the texts submitted for its consideration with articles already published.
Ciencias Veterinarias requires that all actors involved in the process of authorship, editorial management and publication adhere to ethical standards established by the journal. It is also recommended that they consult the international criteria established by the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE).
Responsibilities of the participants
Editor (a): adopts the best standards and methods of peer review, so that all articles are reviewed by specialized and trained evaluators. Specifies which sections are not peer-reviewed and ensures that reviewers contribute to the detection of plagiarism and potential ethical anomalies. It ensures that the journal has clear publication standards. Finally, it advises both authors and reviewers on the entire editorial process in order to promote appropriate research and publication conduct.
Authors: develop original research in a responsible and ethical manner, and present the results honestly, completely and transparently, so that the scientific community can corroborate or replicate them. In those cases in which research is carried out with animals or involves wild species, the respective authorizations must be obtained (Ethics or Bioethics Commission, Animal Welfare Commission, Ministry of Environment, etc.). Do not send the manuscript simultaneously to other journals for evaluation. In addition, authors should give attribution to the studies on which they based their research, the entities that financed it, as well as declare if there is a conflict of interest. Finally, authors must assume responsibility for the published research.
Evaluators or Referees: they inform the editor about possible fraud or plagiarism of the evaluated research. They rule the articles in an objective manner and within the established time. They justify the reasons for rejecting an article or provide suggestions that may strengthen and improve the quality of the publication.
Preservation, interoperability and identification policy
Ciencias Veterinarias uses the LOCKSS, OAI-PMH and DOI systems and protocols.
This journal uses the LOCKSS system to create a distributed archive among participating libraries, which allows these libraries to create permanent archives of the journal for preservation and restoration purposes. The PKP Preservation Network provides free preservation services.
You can consult the following link: https://portal.issn.org/resource/ISSN/2215-4507
Ciencias Veterinarias makes legal deposit of its volumes and issues published in the National System of Libraries (SINABI) in PDF version.
History of the journal
Volume I, number 1 of Ciencias Veterinarias was published in December 1979 as a quadripartite effort of the School of Veterinary Medicine of the National University, the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock, Ministry of Health and the College of Veterinarians of Costa Rica. The journal was published, in printed form, continuously until the year 2000 (Volume 24) with ISSN code 0250-5649. After the self-evaluation process of the Veterinary Medicine career and as a result of the accreditation of the curriculum by SINAES in 2005, the Academic Unit decided to recover the editorial seal of the journal and strengthen its role as a vehicle for dissemination and discussion of the multiple topics that make up the veterinary profession, considering in particular that Ciencias Veterinarias represents the only medium of its nature at Central American level. As of Vol 25 the journal is published in electronic version by the School of Veterinary Medicine, the Animal Health Service (SENASA) of the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock and the College of Veterinarians of Costa Rica using the Open Journal System (OJS) platform and the ISSN code 2215-4507.
Licensing of articles
All articles will be published under a Creative Commons License: Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 3.0 Costa Rica License.
In the event that the postulated article is accepted for publication, the authors of the article allow the FREE, EXCLUSIVE, WORLDWIDE, AND FOR AN UNDEFINITE TERM assignment of their patrimonial right(s) of authorship to Universidad Nacional (Costa Rica), which implies the following:
- The graphic and style edition of the work or part of it. The publication and full reproduction of the work or part of it, both by printed and electronic means, including Internet and any other technology known or to be known.
- The translation of the work or part of it into any language or dialect.
- The adaptation of the work to reading, sound, voice and any other available technical representation or mechanism, which makes possible its access for partially or totally blind people, or with any other form of special abilities that prevent their access to the conventional reading of the article.
- The distribution and availability of the work to the public, in such a way that the public may have access to them from the time and place of their choice, through the physical or electronic mechanisms available to them.
- That the work be distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution Non-commercial No Derivative Works International version 3.0 license, which implies the possibility that readers may freely download, store, copy and distribute the final approved and published (post print) version of the article, provided that it is done without commercial purposes, no derivative works are generated and the source and authorship of the work are mentioned. Any other form of use, process or system known or to be known that is related to the activities and editorial purposes to which the Journal is linked.
- Rights of reuse: In turn, the UNA grants the AUTHORS the right to reuse for any purpose and to publish on the Internet or any electronic site, the final approved and published version (post print) of the article, as long as it is done on a not-for-profit basis. Accept that, with their collaboration, the article submitted will be adjusted by the Journal's editing team to the "Instructions for Authors" previously established and published in the Journal's official website regarding procedures, format, correction, editing, publication, duration of the editorial process and other requirements requested in said norms.
- They accept that the journal reserves the right to withdraw or block access to the publications stored in its virtual platforms as soon as it becomes aware of a complaint filed by a third party for alleged infringement of its copyrights. In accordance with Law N° 8968, law for the protection of the individual against the treatment of personal data, the AUTHOR consents to provide the Magazine with a contact e-mail address, as well as the personal data necessary for the identification of the authorship of the article.
- In turn, they authorize the Journal to publish, together with the article, the necessary personal data (name and surname, institution, city/country, e-mail). Any personal data other than those indicated above will be kept by the Journal with absolute confidentiality and may not be disclosed or transferred to third parties without the AUTHOR's consent.
- They admit that the application and possible publication of the article in the Revista Ciencias Veterinarias will be governed by the editorial policies of the journal, the institutional regulations of the Universidad Nacional and the legislation of the Republic of Costa Rica. Additionally, that in case of any eventual difference of criteria or future dispute, this will be settled according to the mechanisms of Alternative Dispute Resolution and the Costa Rican Jurisdiction.