Mathematics for secondary education project (Matem-UNA): perception of students about of the courses received and the profesional careers they selected for higher education
This paper summarizes the opinions of students who have enrolled in the Precalculus course offered by the MATEM project. The aim is to systematize the views expressed by the students enrolled in MATEM, which are related to general aspects of the project, and also to know the professional areas these students select when entering to the university. The information for this study was collected through two questionnaires administered to the participating students during 2005-2009. The most relevant results are the following: the students listed benefits from MATEM such as the opportunity to practice for their Mathematics test (Ministry of Education exam), obtaining new knowledge and developing mathematical and reasoning skills. Most students would recommend others to participate in the project. Regarding the careers that students pursue, it was found a preference for higher studies in public universities at Costa Rica; these majors include mathematics courses in their curriculum (Engineering, Economics, Statistics, Medicine, among others).
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
1. Authors retain copyright and guaranteeing the magazine the right to be the first publication of the work as licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this magazine.
2. Authors can set separate additional agreements for non-exclusive distribution of the version of the work published in the journal (eg, place it in an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
Uniciencia Journal and all its productions are under Creative Commons Atribución-NoComercial-SinDerivadas 4.0 Unported.
Comentarios (ver términos de uso)
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Ana Lucía Alfaro Arce, Marianela Alpízar Vargas, Edwin Chaves Esquivel, Methodological resources used by teachers in cycles I and II in basic general education in the region of Heredia, when they teach probability and statistics , Uniciencia: Vol 26 No 1-2 (2012)
- Marianela Alpízar Vargas, José Pablo Barrantes Quirós, Helen Bolaños González, Michael Céspedes López, Evelyn Delgado Carvajal, Dylana Freer Paniagua, Erick Ricardo Padilla Mora, María Fernanda Víquez Ortiz, Relevant Aspects on Teaching Probability and Statistics in Basic General Education , Revista Electrónica Educare: Vol 16 No 2 (2012): Revista Electrónica Educare (mayo-agosto)
- Ana Lucía Alfaro Arce, Marianela Alpízar Vargas, José Romilio Loría Fernández, Educational project “Mathematics for secondary education (MATEM)”, your academic task during the year 2012: participants´ perspective , Uniciencia: Vol 28 No 2 (2014)