Educational project “Mathematics for secondary education (MATEM)”, your academic task during the year 2012: participants´ perspective
"MATEM" is a university outreach project. Among its objectives is to improve the mathematics education at the high school level and to accomplish it public universities work together with high school´s teachers and students. The study´s aim was to research various aspects of MATEM Project to order to evaluate its development and consider recommendations for making decisions. This paper summarizes the perceptions of high school students enrolled during 2012 in courses Precalculus and Calculus, moreover the opinion of mathematics teachers. The main results were that MATEM is an academic activity attractive for math teachers and student population from different regions of the country, although sometimes are not available the necessary conditions to develop it in their respective institutions, to have passed a university course, get more practice for the standard test at the end of high school, increase their math skills and prepare for college courses were the aspects that motivate students to enroll in the project, however the development of reasoning skills and abilities were more frequently pointed by respondents.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
1. Authors guarantee the journal the right to be the first publication of the work as licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
2. Authors can set separate additional agreements for non-exclusive distribution of the version of the work published in the journal (eg, place it in an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
3. The authors have declared to hold all permissions to use the resources they provided in the paper (images, tables, among others) and assume full responsibility for damages to third parties.
4. The opinions expressed in the paper are the exclusive responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the opinion of the editors or the Universidad Nacional.
Uniciencia Journal and all its productions are under Creative Commons Atribución-NoComercial-SinDerivadas 4.0 Unported.
There is neither fee for access nor Article Processing Charge (APC)
Comentarios (ver términos de uso)
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Ana Lucía Alfaro Arce, Marianela Alpízar Vargas, Edwin Chaves Esquivel, Methodological resources used by teachers in cycles I and II in basic general education in the region of Heredia, when they teach probability and statistics , Uniciencia: Vol 26 No 1-2 (2012)
- Marianela Alpízar Vargas, José Pablo Barrantes Quirós, Helen Bolaños González, Michael Céspedes López, Evelyn Delgado Carvajal, Dylana Freer Paniagua, Erick Ricardo Padilla Mora, María Fernanda Víquez Ortiz, Relevant Aspects on Teaching Probability and Statistics in Basic General Education , Revista Electrónica Educare: Vol 16 No 2 (2012): Revista Electrónica Educare (mayo-agosto)
- Ana Lucía Alfaro Arce, Marianela Alpízar Vargas, Mathematics for secondary education project (Matem-UNA): perception of students about of the courses received and the profesional careers they selected for higher education , Uniciencia: Vol 27 No 1 (2013)