The effect of high rearing densities on the growth of juveniles of the cichlid, cichlasoma managuense (Günther, 1869) (ESP)
AbstractThe effect of high density culture on the growth of juvenile jaguar cichlids was investigated. Mean growth rate decrease with density, while the growth rate of the largest fishes was not affected. Reduction in mean growth resulted from a greater number of stunted individuals as well as from a higher degree of stunting. Skewness appears to be a better indicator of competitive effects than the coefficient of variation. It is concluded that at least in stagnant waters, even high densities do not affect the strong dominance hierarchy which establishes among guapote juveniles.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
1. Authors retain copyright and guaranteeing the magazine the right to be the first publication of the work as licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this magazine.
2. Authors can set separate additional agreements for non-exclusive distribution of the version of the work published in the journal (eg, place it in an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
Uniciencia Journal and all its productions are under Creative Commons Atribución-NoComercial-SinDerivadas 4.0 Unported.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Jorge Günther Nonell, Jorge Boza Abarca, Intensive Rearing of Juveniles of cichlasoma managuense (Günther 1869) in recirculated systems (ESP) , Uniciencia: Vol 8 No 1 (1991)
- Marco Acosta Nassar, Jorge Günther Nonell, Growth of jaguar cichlid (Cichlasoma managuense) juveniles at different oxygen levels , Uniciencia: Vol 9 No 1 (1992)
- Jorge Günther Nonell, Growth of pacific snook (Centropomus nigrescens) juveniles at different salinities (ESP) , Uniciencia: Vol 12 No 1 (1995)